¼ cup (35g) plain flour
1.2kg lamb shoulder, cut into 2.5cm pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
3 teaspoons ground coriander
3 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cardamom pods, bruised
2 fresh long green chilli, chopped finely
2 large onions, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, crushed
400ml chicken stock
250ml coconut cream
1 fresh long green chilli, extra, sliced thinly
Fresh coriander, steamed rice, naan bread, yoghurt, mango chutney, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 160’C. Place flour in a large bowl; season well with salt and pepper. Coat lamb in flour mixture; shake off excess.
2. Heat oil in a large heavy based casserole dish. Cook lamb, stirring, until browned all over.
3. Add the spices, chilli, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened and fragrant. Add stock and coconut cream. Bring to a simmer.
4. Place a round of baking paper over surface of lamb mixture. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until lamb is meltingly tender.
5. Sprinkle with extra chilli and serve with steamed rice, grilled naan bread, yogurt and mango chutney.